The Assumption cathedral is dedicated to the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary. It was constructed as the principal church of the Russian state in 1475-1479 by decree of Grand Prince of Russia Ivan III, who consolidated all Russian princedoms under the power of Moscow. A renowned architect Aristotele Fioravanti of Bologna was invited to Russia for that.
For six centuries the Assumption Cathedral has been the national and religious centre of Russia: grand princes were set for reigning, tsars were crowned and emperors were coronated here. Besides, bishops, metropolitans and patriarchs were inaugurated; tsar’s decrees and statements were declared; church services for successful military campaigns and thanksgiving services were held, and religious precessions started from there. The cathedral has become a burial place of Russian Holy Hierarchs – metropolitans and patriarchs of the 14th-17th centuries. In particular, precious shrines with the relics of Moscow wonder-workers Peter, Jonah, Philip and Hermogenes are preserved in the cathedral.